Thursday, November 11, 2010

Where do I begin...

I started this blog a few days ago. Meaning, I created, but never had time to "blog." What does that tell you about my life?
I love writing. I wrote for the High School Newspaper (The Knight Writer)... geeky, I know. But I loved it. I think my journalism teacher loved it too. I remember being called to the office (which was kind of a big deal) about my articles being "too much" as my principal put it. But my journalism teacher never made me edit out anything. I think he liked the attention.  A few people sent me letters either in support or, well, opposition of what I wrote. I wrote some commercials (for class) in college and loved that as well. I really just don't have time, or an audience to write for. Which is what brings me here. Takes less time to type than to write, and even though I probably don't really have an audience.... I can pretend. I am good at that :)
I took my dad (well, step dad technically but totally my dad in every way that counts) to the broadway musical, "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" the other night. It was so fun. I can't remember ever spending that much one on one time with him. I loved every minute of it. Well, except the part where I almost ran a j-walking, dark clothes wearing family over. That was kinda scary. BUT I didn't. Thanks to my dad! I looked both ways, I swear I did. They really came out of nowhere. I still feel bad about it. They must have crapped their pants. Back to the show, I highly recommend it. Great music, costumes, and the sets were also very impressive. I had such a great night and I know I will always remember it.

Another, off topic thing that I cannot get out of my head... the Westboro Baptist Church. Just hearing the name makes me enraged. How they are allowed to protest at funerals... I don't get how that's not some form of terrorism or something. I really am not a hateful person at all. But something about that group makes me want to punch them in the face. And you know what, that's probably exactly what they want. They want to be hated, because then they are being talked and thought about. I really can't stand them. They make me sick to my stomach. And now they are going after teachers. First soldiers. Now teachers. It's disgusting. My daughter is only three years old. I am planning on talking to her a lot when she's older about standing up for what's right. I heard a quote, "Stand up for what's right, even if you are standing alone." I really believe this. I really want my daughter (and son!) to have the confidence to say "NO," and to state their opinions, which has never really been a problem for me. I want my children to know that the world is not fair, but we can treat people fairly. I want my children to know that bullying is wrong. I want my children to have the courage to stand up to bullies. The courage to get an adult involved, or get involved themselves. And I know that this courage I speak of doesn't just "magically appear." I have to "grow" it inside their hearts. It's my job to lead by example. It's my job to stand up for what's right and show them that it's okay to "go against the grain" if it's something you truly believe in. I want my children to have respect for everyone, and themselves. If I can do that, if I can show them the way as a parent, then I would be so proud. Proud of them, proud of myself, proud of the "village" that surrounds my littles ones with love and support. What do you want for your children?

No comments:

Post a Comment