Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Male Brain

I really just... don't get it. Part of me wishes that I did. Part of me... ignorance is bliss??

I don't want anyone to think that this post is ALL about my husband. It mostly is, but mainly just men in general. Griping to my girlfriends we all seem to say the same thing, right?




Well I decided to do some research. Okay, I googled it. So this is not scientific, but most websites said pretty much the same thing. If I were still in high school literature, I would site my sources. But I don't have to do that now. :)

I found this point interesting...
  • Men are able to focus on narrow issues and block out unrelated information and distractions. Women naturally see everyday things from a broader, "big-picture" vantage point.

My translation to this, men block out important issues and get distracted. And by distracted I mean, TURN OFF THE TV WHEN I AM TALKING TO YOU! And girlfriends will tell you, sometimes when you are talking to him you feel like saying, "Okay, what's the last sentence I just said..." JUST to be sure he was listening. If you are me, sometimes you actually say that. For real. And he doesn't always pass...

  • Men are able to separate information, stimulus, emotions, relationships, etc. into separate compartments in their brains, while women tend to link everything together.

Agreed. Next.

  • It is estimated to be only about 3 pounds, which is usually around 2 percent of your body’s weight. 
Okay this is good news for me! Tomorrow morning when I weigh myself, I will mentally subtract three pounds! Yes!
  • On average women say 7,000 words per day. Men manage just over 2000.
This I also believe. My girlfriends and I have often had the chat of, "I wish he talked to me more, you know?" Girlfriends, you know it's true! And while we sit and chat about it, our word tally just rises!!

  • Men use the right part of their amygdala instead of the left like women do, hence he may not remember details of important events as well as a woman can
So you mean this is why whenever someone asks us how old our son is he looks at me like a deer in headlights and then proceeds to argue with me about his age? Hmmm.. wait a minute, would you count birth as a detail of an important event? The day he was born is just a small detail, and I should be thankful that he knows he HAS a son? Or, maybe the important event was s-e-x (sorry still can't say it!) and the detail was his son? I don't know... maybe someone can fill me in?

Or maybe someone could fill me in, because I didn't find this in my research, why men have to be "told" to do things around the house? Really, you just stepped on five toys on your way to the couch. Tripping over them sounds like way more fun than bending all the way over to pick them up!

Enough googling the male brain for me. It just sounded like a male wrote those articles to give men excuses for their behavior! I could go straight to the source and talk to him about it, but men have a thinner cortex, thus they aren't very good at conversation.

All joking aside, I love my husband very much, I am very thankful for him. He's an awesome daddy, (which my research said can make his brain "better" by being a dad) and an awesome person. I love him with my whole heart. I just wish he had a female brain sometimes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment