Thursday, November 1, 2012

Forever and Forever

 

Parenting, for me, has been such an exciting, puzzling, and rewarding journey. We've had our share of ups and downs. Way more ups than downs. And I am very thankful for that.

And a couple of weeks ago, I had one of those "up" moments. A really "up" moment.

When my daughter was born, my first baby, our Aunt Mel gave us a book called, "Guess How Much I Love You.." You probably know the story. I was actually not familiar with the book when I received it, and didn't pay much attention to it until we brought her home from the hospital.

The first day home, I decided to take her to the rocker and read her a book. And that was the book that I chose. It would be her first time hearing it, and my first time reading it. I remember every single moment of reading that book, 5 years ago. It went a little like this...

Page one: Piece of cake. No problem.

Page two: I started to tear up.

Page three: I couldn't even read it anymore. The book actually sticks on that page, still after all of this time, from my tears.

Page four: My husband came in scared something was wrong, and he had to finish the book.


As the months flew by, I was never able to finish the book. I would sometimes get half way through, or close to the end, and I would start crying again. Callie was six months old before I read the book to her from cover to cover without weeping. I would still tear up, but the tears would just fill my eyes.


We continue to read "Guess How Much I Love You." Callie knows it's my favorite book. It's our special book.

A couple of weeks ago, Callie decided to choose THAT book to read to me. She's been reading for a while now, but she's never chosen that book to read. And it went a little like this....

Page one: Tears.

Page two: Tears.

Page three: Tears.



And so on. I was keeping them from "falling" though. I was trying to be strong. But they were there. And they were different. They were proud tears. They were "full circle" tears. My baby is reading to me. And she's reading the first book I ever read to her. It's one of those moments that you just know you'll remember for the rest of your life.


The book ends with a popular saying, "I love you right up to the moon, and back." And that's been our saying all of this time. I ask both kids, at least once a day, "How much does Mommy love you?" And they respond, "Up to the moon and back, forever and ever, and I love you sooooo much!"

So thank you, Aunt Mel, because I am sure when you purchased us this book, you probably had no idea how much it would end up meaning to our family.

I can't wait to hear Callie read it to her children someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment